Kabul Restaurant & Afghan Bakery
Feast of the Sultans:
From top right clockwise: Kofte Korma, Chicken Tikka, Mutton Karayee, Brinjal, (ignore the green goo which was not from there), Kidney Beans (given free), Afghan Bread, Mutton Biryani
The Good -
In order of preference:
- Mutton Karayee - We almost didn't get it but I'm so glad we did. This was just delicious. The mutton is first grilled on the tandoor and then stewed up with some tomatoes, green chillies (that are not hot just super flavourful), and big chunks of egg that can almost be mistaken for some sort of paneer due to its texture. Delicioussss, espcially with the bread.
- Brinjal - I guess it's the Afghani bharta. Cooked with tomatoes and yoghurt. Smokey, simple, good!
- Kofte Korma - Quite tasty. Very big generous sized meatballs, that were flavourful and tender. Three huge meatballs per portion. I was actually a bit scared that they would be too dry, but phew that was not the case.
- I would probably skip next time:
- The Chicken Tikka - Its a shame because the marinade was tasty but the chicken was way to over cooked and dry. No fun in that now is there!
- Muton Biryani - Had slivers of some sort of cooked orange or fruit? The biryani was pretty dead in flavour. Usually the Afghan biryani is quite simple but the meat broth it is cooked in gives it so much oomph! Oh well.
If you are more in to the simple biryani and kababs try Kabul Delhi Restaurant
. But if the stew and curry like things are more up your alley then this is the place for you. What Kabul Restaurant failed at they did well and vice versa.
Avoid getting the bread from there and walk ahead of the restaurant. On the same side of the road and just about two shops ahead of it is the "Bread Man"! I dont know what else to call him. No his name wont do so bread man it is! Bless his soul, for he churns out mammoth sized naans that come out piping hot, nice crust on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside. Try and eat it hot or its pretty pointless!
The Bread Man -
Cheap. We ordered all that. Each dish minus the karayee being 2 portions. Bill came to about Rs.1500
+91 9873916924, 9654838229
Shop no. 4/8. Opp. Modi Pastry. Jangpura Bhogal.
Labels: Afghani, Favourites, Kebabs