For those of you that don't know, Lajpat Nagar seems to have become the Afghani hub of Delhi. With a handful of Afghani restaurants having sprouted here make sure you find the right one - Kabul Delhi.
Understated, casual and small, lets face it you dont go there for the anything but the food. They don't seem to be used to seeing too many women because we got stared at like pigs in a mosque. So don't tease them any further senoritas and dress accordingly. Vegetarians don't even bother; carnivores enter with pride.
Try and go early because they do tend to run out of things. Also keep in mind, though they bear similar names to many Indian dishes, please do not expect them to taste anywhere near the same! If you are expecting a masala filled, ghee oozing qoorma then yes you will be disappointed. But if you expect to actually taste the simple rich flavour of each of your meats then you will be rewarded.
And it goes like this:
Next on my list:
- Mutton Biryani - Forgot the name but they had two varieties of non-vegetarian ones. This was just delicious. Simple and so flavourful. The rice seems to be boiled in a mutton broth/stock. The mutton pieces themselves are so succulent and tender.
- Borrani Banjan - This is a great dish especially with some Afghani naan. Eggplant with tomato sauce and yogurt. Perfect in between your meat fest if you feel your arteries getting a little choked.
- Mantu - These are little meat like raviolis covered in tomato sauce, yogurt and some mint. I tried a version of this in Turkey, which might have spoilt me a little because this was not that great.
- Kababs - Ghosht Tikka Kabab - The mutton was minimally seasoned, juicy - just pure goodness. Tandoori Chicken - As I said same name but very different otherwise. Firstly its not red its white like chicken usually is. Again the marinate is not overbearing on the meat - really moist, tender and gooood!
- Mutton Qoorma - Even though a lot of people seem to like this I personally was not the biggest fan. Not bad but not a must. Too tomatoey for my liking.
- Kofta Chalao
- Yakhni Kofta
- Chabli Kabab
E-104 Ground Floor,
Lajpat Nagar 2
011 4601 2525, 98732 23900, 98732 27200
Labels: Afghani, Biryani, Favourites, Kebabs