DECONSTRUCTION OF SALAD CAPRESE: Tomato Basil Sorbet, Balsamic Jelly & Liquid Centered Mozzarella
A wonderful new spin on an all-time favourite. Bring your A-game and goggles for this one!
Tomato Basil Sorbet
Red tomato, grated 110 gm
Tomato juice 3 tbsn
Salt a pinch
Basil leaves 1 tsn
Glucose 1 tbsn
Xanthan 0.1 gm
Lemon rind a pinch
Orange juice 50 gm
Balsamic vinegar 4 tsn
Agar- agar 0.75 gm
Sodium Alginate Bath
Water 1 lt
Sodium alginate 1 tsn
Buffalo mozzarella fresh 100 gm
Water 50 ml
Milk 50 ml
Parmesan cheese, grated 1 tsn
Xanthan gum 0.3 gm
Refined flour 2 tsn
Castor sugar 2 pinch
Salt a pinch
Butter 11/2 tsn
Egg white 1 tsn
Garlic, chopped a pinch
Parmesan, Grated 2 pinch
Mixed herbs 2 pinch
Extra virgin olive oil 2 tbsn
Reduced balsamic vinegar to drizzle
Assorted lettuce and herb bunch for garnish
Extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
Method for tomato basil sorbet:
• Boil tomato pulp with juice, salt, liquid glucose and basil leaves. When done add glucose, xanthan and lemon rind.
• Pacotize, strain and set in paco jet containers in deep freezer. Churn 1 hour prior to service once again in paco jet and store in freezer.
Method for balsamic jelly:
• Cover one end of mould (of size 3.25”*3.25”*1.5”) with cling wrap and place on plate.
• In a medium size saucepan boil orange juice, add agar- agar and whisk till dissolves completely. Off the flame add balsamic vinegar, mix well and set in square mould.
• Cut round with the help of mould and scoop out the centre.
For sodium alginate bath:
• In a food processor add water and sodium alginate and process at high speed. Keep the mixture in mixing bowl and rest well before using.
For liquid centered mozzarella sphere:
• Cut mozzarella into small dices, process in food processor and make smooth paste by slowly adding water and milk. When paste is made add xanthan gum and process again.
• Strain and store in refrigerator for minimum of ½ an hour before dropping into alginate water
• Take mozzarella mixture into small ladles and drop into alginate bath, to make spheres, cook for about 1 minute in alginate water. Take out wash them in water and put in Chinese spoon and store in refrigerator.
For parmesan tuile:
• Pre heat oven at 180 c .Mix all the ingredients together to make dough.
• Place round stencil on silpat and put some tuile dough, smear with the help of spatula and bake for 3 to 4 minutes.
• In a large rectangular plate, place balsamic jelly in one end, place lettuce and herb bunch inside and put few reduced balsamic dots.
• Place mozzarella spheres on the plate and finish with pepper and extra virgin olive oil
• Make a quenelle of tomato sorbet, garnish with parmesan tuile and finish with extra virgin olive oil