I feel rather selfish, having hoarded on Wingreeen's delicious spreads, all by myself for so long. Lucky, for them they didn't have to count on my review to get the word out, now you can get their dips at just about every decent grocery store.
I'll be honest here they are friends, and that is how I have had a steady flow of hummus in my fridge at all times. But friendship with me doesn't land anyone a good review - only the food does.
Wingreen's is a small family run enterprise started by Anju Srivastava, and nurtured by her daughter Zoha Chaudhri. What makes Wingreens extra special is that it isn't merely a profit making company, but a social initiative to empower female employment. Their farm not only employs rural women and provides them with a stable income but is also environmentally sustainable.
All products are a 100% Organic. They sell herbs in every form:
- Little potted herb plants (depending on what is in season). I absolutely love these.
- Lavash & Crackers - I stick to the plain lavash.
- Infused Olive Oil - Garlic & Chili, Mixed Herbs, Rosemary, etc. Yet to try these.
I am a sucker for their dips.
- Rosemary Hummus - It's my crack on toast, it is so addictive. I need a fix of this every week. It may not be the most refined, creamy hummus out there. In fact, I would prefer it if it was a tad creamier/smoother. Im not sure if it even includes any tahini, but it just tastes so damn good that all is forgiven. I love spreading a thick layer on brown toast, which I then top with slices of ripe tomato. Yum!
- Babaganoush - This is my second favourite . It is light, a nice creamy consistency with that dash of tanginess. Delicious.
- Garlic Dip - Yoghurt based garlic dip. I often use this dip or Tzatziki (depending on what I have at hand) in potato or pasta salads - works beautifully. I also stuffed the garlic dip in chicken breast with some sun-dried tomatoes - lathered it with pesto and grilled. The dip was my less fatty substitute for goat cheese.
- Tzatziki - Loaded w/ dill but in a good way. I have used this to make smoked salmon canapes. Served it with grilled fish and chicken, and even tried marinating fish with it. All turned out great. Of course it works just fine as a dip too, but I get bored easily and that is when my weird and wonderful experiments start. !
- Salsa - I have only tried this twice. Once when it was sent over and the other when I was making tacos. Its good regular salsa, to be frank I am not a big salsa person so to me it is what it is.
- Basil Pesto - This is probably my least favourite of the lot. For starters it is vegan friendly so contains no parmesan - I think that is where it died for me.
So get your hands on some Wingreens - do it as a favour to yourself, and as your social deed for the day. Eating dipping never felt so good..
Plants not available in stores so you can call them for that. For dips, lavash, oils check Nature's Basket, Modern Bazaar and their FB page for other locations.
Call us at 9871672038
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Labels: Delis, Favourites, Groceries, Healthy Options, Home-Made Sunday Brunches, Mediterranean, Middle-Eastern, Organic, Recipes, Sandwiches, Specialty Stores, Vegetarian