Viva O Viva
After my disappointing Goan meal at Souza Lobo I had pretty much washed my hands of Goan food in Delhi. But I'm glad my greed and curiosity got the best of me as I hesitantly trudged along to Goa Niwas. And wow am I glad for what a treatful feast it was!
Behold our table:
- Reichado Fish - This was so yummy I ordered a second one after!. The fish was so delicious, perfectly crispy on the outside, soft and tender on the inside. The masala was quite delicious but may be a bit pungent for some.
- Rawa Fried Fish - I'm usually a fan of a nice simple rawa fish, this one however, was not all that great. Especially since there is a lot more one can order that hits the mark. The rawa coating was just not crisp enough. The seasoning was also half way there.
- Vadu Mango Pickle - The owner brought this over for us to try. I love how sour vadu mango is and i loved this pickled version!
- Masala Fry Calamari - If I remember correctly they only had this with prawns but we asked for it with calamari instead. Vinegary, tomatoey, tasty!
- Stuffed Crab - So yummy. As you can see its heavily spiced but still delicious! Though I have to admit a subtle and delicate meat such as crab, does get terribly lost with such a preparation. It may well have been anything else. But was tasty nonetheless. Mop it up with some pao and you're set.
- Pork Vindaloo - Pork was not on the menu but we tried our luck anyway, and luck was on our side! Though it didn't bare the signature fiery redness of vindaloo it was tasty none the less. Vinegary, spicy, I could taste fair amount of garam masala. Perfect with some white rice.
- Prawn Curry - Was a nice break from all the vinegar to be honest. Good homey prawn curry, which impressively included kokum like it should. Couldn't have asked for more.
My mouth has been salivating as I write this. If you like and miss Goan food, don't waste time before anything changes! Head to Goa Niwas now...
Timings: Open till 10pm but best to call ahead and check .
Goa Niwas, 14, Bir Tikendrajit Marg, Chanakyapuri
Labels: Goan, Indian