Italian owner of Flavours has opened P'tit Bar right across the lawns. In my knowledge Delhi's second French restaurant, apart from the well renowned and uber expensive Orient Express. You can be rest assured this place does not take out a month's rent for your bill. I regret not taking a picture of the upstairs area we sat in. A smallish balcony area covered on top but looked over the lawns. Very laid back; a pleasant place for a meal or just drinks. They had a pretty decent wine and beer list, which always makes me happy to see.
Overall the food was not amazing, above average. I guess the combination of good pricing, ambience and lack of competitors assures a steady stream of customers.
- French Onion Soup - I guess since its a French restaurant I could just call it Onion Soup? So I was most excited about this, but ended up being the most disappointed by it! No it was not my intensely high expectations it was just the soup! It was just insipid brown water!. By the looks of it, you would think it was all good, but under the murky water something wasn't quite right. It could be the type of onions they use that were missing that natural sweetness, or weren't caramelized enough. Traditional French onion soup is made with beef broth perhaps to suit vegetarians they skimmed on that? Either way I would ignore this completely. At least they got the gruyere and the crostinis correctly in place.
- Parma and Melon - Good quality parma. Was happy to see this healthy pink colour. The flavour was quite subtle which just means it has not been cured for as long as some. Nonetheless was nice and velvety in its texture. Don't know if I should be commenting on the melon but I will. It was unripe and unsweet. Yes I know there is no such word as unsweet!
- Leek Quiche - The pastry was good, the filling was good. Order it.
- Beef Carpaccio - I was a bit hesitant to try raw beef here. Was not to sure what the standards would be. But the moment a plate full of rosy pink slivers smiled in front of me I knew I was going to be ok. However, I would have enjoyed this a lot more and maybe considered ordering it next time if it was even the slightest bit seasoned. Some salt? Olive oil? Balsamic glaze would have made my day, yes I cheat sometimes. Maybe, if it was some supremely supreme grade of beef, I would have scoffed at my own suggestion. But it wasn't, so bring out the salt shakers please!
- Goat Cheese Salad - I could not recall if the menu said warm goat cheese salad, so when i saw these scrumptiously browned little salty cheeks I got very excited! I chose to toss away the bread and eat the cheese directly with my salad. Honestly, the baguette there would have made any French man flinch, with good taste or bad! Anywho, the salad was nice enough, lettuce tossed around in a simple vinaigrette and the goat cheese more than made up for anything lacking!
- Pork Chops w/ Red Cabbage and some sort of ratatouille like veggies - This would have been a perfect dish; the seasoning was just right, the sweet caramelized red cabbage was a perfect partner to the saltiness. Even the veggies were quite delicious. Only problem was the pork itself. Not being the best quality it was quite chewy and not as tender and melt-in-your-mouth as it could have been. And I don't believe that if they can get fairly decent parma, they can't get better pork chops!
- Seafood Rice Crown - I really enjoyed this dish. It was a delicious creamy seafood bouillabaisse like concoction. Though the assortment could have done with some fish it was a nice mix of prawns, small shrimp, squid, mussels.
- Creme Brulee - This is what would separate the masters from the amateurs. I guess they fell somewhere in between. The custard itself could have been creamier and smoother and a little less gelatinous. Also the crust was too grainy, perhaps too much heat too fast. . .
- Nut Tart - Stay away! This just left me irritated! Firstly I don't know what in this constitutes as a nut tart. It had some sticky toffee filling which only tasted of coffee for some reason! The whipped cream on top tasted like synthetic marshmallow mixed with synthetic cream, was just weird! Before I really start ranting, I'm going to stop. Just don't get this dessert.. We wouldn't have either except the 3 other things we asked for were all not available.
Overall, go try it, like I said upstairs is a nice little spot and the food is not half bad. However if you decide to get anything packed, please specify you want everything on the plate packed. We asked for our pork chops packed, they threw away the cabbage, the fries, the veggies and only packed the pork... weird!
Labels: French, Outdoor Seating, Romantic