Wasabi by Morimoto
Probably the most talked about Japanese restaurant in town. Under the proud name of Iron Chef, Masaharu Morimoto.
Small space so make a reservation. Private dining area - nice. If you get stuck at the sushi bar carry something warm or you will freeze!
*Dishes in red are must orders*
- Spinach Gomai - One of the best version's of this dish in town. Blanched cold spinach with creamy sesame dressing - Cannot go wrong with this. Keep it on the side to add something green and delicious to your meal.
- Sushi - Wasabi Salmon Special - spicy mayo tobika kapa (jap cucumber) - wrapped w/ daikon, Eel Nigiri
- Rock Shrimp (appetiser) - Comes split in two portions. One is with a wasabi mayo and the other a chilli mayo. Keep popping them in because "no one can eat just one".
- Yellowtail Carpaccio - One of my favourites here. Think its in ponzu sauce with jalapeños. Light, fresh, tangy. I could just eat this all night!
- Foie Gras & Scallops - Though I order some variation of this every time - Im never entirely convinced of the assembly. But foie gras is my weakness and just for the foie alone I return faithfully every time.
- Tuna Pizza - I love all fish.. Well most fish. But sometimes i get a little iffy around tuna. Especially here. But Wasabi allows my finickiness a much needed break. This dish is delicious! Perfect balance of a nice thin cracker-like base with super fresh tuna, creamy mayo, that tangy bite from the jalapeño, and the sharpness of the onion can't go unnoticed. And yes amongst all those pretty little dishes it's easy to ignore this slight mess on my plate - but one bite later you'll be glad you didn't.
- Miso Black Cod - This is by far my absolute favourite dish here. I have nightmares of the day they decide to take this off the menu. Oh please never do that. It is just the most tender buttery piece of fish ever. With its perfect sweet miso glaze. The flavours are simple and divine! For those that get put off by the thick skin cod bears.. well don't because it does not have that fishiness. It has been nicely charred and all you can taste is that sweet miso glaze! MMMM mmmm mmmm!!
- Steamed Fish in black bean sauce - Not your usual thick gloppy black bean sauce but a nice thin sauce. Perfect for those trying to keep it light.
Black and white Seasame Ice-cream
- Teppanyaki - Could be considered tasty if you thought of it as a stir fry but I am sorry it is pretty appalling teppanyaki! After drowning it in some spicy peppery sauce who would want to further douse their dish in any of the additional 3 dipping sauces? The idea of teppanyaki is that it's grilled with minimal seasoning and then according to the protein, you are given a different type of dipping sauce to give it flavour, which is completely lost here!. The teppanyaki fried rice is the only thing worth ordering from that menu.
- I just love this but you may not.
Taj Mahal Hotel
1 Mansingh Road
Labels: Favourites, Japanese, Sushi