This is one of those places that really kills the theory of its full of locals so it must be good. Just like that dhaba down the road thats always full and when you decided to venture in you scratch your head confused why the food's so awful. And then it hits, that all some people want is a very cheap meal.
Like that not every Japanese has the money to splurge at sakura on a regular basis nor do they have the taste buds of Julia Child. That is the case here with Kyoto, it is just dirt cheap, especially for notoriously expensive Japanese food. Is the food as awful as the deceiving dhaba down the street you ask? Oh yes it is. Should you go try it? Of course not.
The break down:
- Sushi - Prawn tempura roll - I really should have taken this as a sign and walked out when i had a chance. The tempura batter itself was soggy and thick. There was so much rice that as thick as the tempura was you still could not taste it! A little vinegar goes a long way in the rice and too much vinegar? Uh get away!
- Pork Spare Ribs - Spare me - Char grilled - The sauce was actually quite nice BUT the pork? Probably some of the worst I have eaten. This is exactly where the repercussions of the dirt cheap prices hit you. The pork was so chewy that if I let go as I tried to bite that rib I really would have ended up with a black eye. I am assuming you get the point and I do not need to go in to the flavour of the meat.
- Egg Fried Rice - Did some justice here. Good. Flavourful.
- Ramen - If you end up lost and starving in sector 15 and accidently wander in to Kyoto get the ramen. It is definitely your safest bet. Cannot remember which one we got think it was some spicy pork one, but not bad at all.
- Eihire - Small dried fish that is then lightly grilled - Chewy, sweet fish served with a bowl of mayonaisse. Interesting little snack. Tasty and I don't regret getting it.
The same people own Tamura in Green park - not to be confused with tamura in new friends or vasant vihar.
No. 20, Huda Market Complex,
Sector 15, Part 2, Gurgaon
Timings: Lunch 12:00-3:00 p.m Dinner 6:00 p.m 10:00 p.m Open All Days
Sunday shuts at 9.30 p.m
Phone: 0124 2221645, 09873349961